Friday, August 19, 2011

St Gallen,Switzerland

Gruetzi! After a few twists and turns arrived hot and tired in St. Gallen. Staying at the Walhalla Hotel, a Best Western, straight across the trainstation. Getting smarter in booking hotels. Early evening for me.
This morning I was up at my usual 6 am wake-up, indulged in a scrumptious breakfast, like the Austrians, the Swiss know how to put on breakfast. Started walking and taking some early morning pictures, only people going to work, no tourists yet and stumbled across St. Gallens Friday Farmers Market.... do I have a nose for this. Ah, flowers, vegis, smoked meat, cheese and more cheese. Got myself some fresh yoghurt, what I thought was bretzel sticks that turned in to a sweet stick filled with walnuts.... yummy. Some cheese and freshly pressed apple cider.

Got my hair done at a Hairdresser training school for 29 CHF, which is par with Cdn $, about 50% of what it would have cost me at a regular salon. Switzerland is very, VERY expensive.

Off to the Lace Museum, oh what gorgeous things, alas, no photos allowed, in fact I had to put my purse in the locker. Sight and senses overload, such beautiful things to look at. I wish they had a catalogue, like most museums of their collection, but they don`t.

Proceed to walk the old town, stopping at a fancy kitchen store, and buy cookie cutters.... hmm.

Next stop a bookstore, as usual I buy way too many cook books. All along photographing, churches and ornamental window erkers (boxes, like for a baywindow). They are hundreds of years old and St. Gallen is one of the few cities that preserves them, they are breathtaking.

AH, a Tea salon (found 2 more stores only today), this one sounds promising. In I go and look over the tea menu, nothing special but I settle on a China black they call Prince of Wales and order an Apricote tarte with Rahm (cream). Tea arrives.... you got to be kidding me.... it is a Twinnings tea bag... it is costing me CHF 4.60 that is $4.60 for a teabag? This has been the most expensive tea bag so far...lol. The pastry was lovely, price a cool CHF 7.80.

The other 2 stores were a mixed bag, one was a souvenir store that also carried tea, in proper tins etc and of course a lot of herbals. The other was a tea and spice store. Tasted a lovely Rooibos, properly stored tea and some tea in handy Paper teabags, but where are they next too.... spices. Hate to have a greentea that tastes like garlic.

As the day progresses, the town is getting a make over for a Musical Festival that is startinting tonight at 7 pm for 2 days. Glad I took pictures earlier, hard to get close to anything, but you must imaging, the streets are narrow, most of old St. Gallen has only foot traffic, because everyone sits outside in the cafes. Setting up for the festival and music stations, heavy machinary is being brought in, how they manage not to run someone over of roll over the chairs and tables on the sidewalks is a miracle.

Going to one of the festivities, but don`t think too long. Have an early start again tomorrow, travelling a short distance to Bodensee and taking a boattrip for the better part of the day.

Ade, Ingrid

1 comment:

  1. You have to love stumbling onto the outdoor farmer's markets! It reminds me of our discovery in Leon France where we packed a wonderful lunch from the beautiful foods they had available.

    I know what you mean about the tea. When I read "Prince of Wales" I knew what you were talking about. We used to serve that tea in the Added Touch tea room. It was purchased from Metropolitan Tea.

    Sounds like you're having a wonderful visual and culinary experience...must catch up on more of your posts... Hugs, V~

    ReplyDelete