Arrived early, check in not till 3 pm and truly, I did not get my room until evening. So got myself a Zurich Card (A MUST) deposited luggage at hotel and off I went.
Fleemarket first stop, oh what fun, just like any old market with lots of chunk and nice things in between. Then walked along the lake to Museum Riedberg, it is a bit of a hike, but beautiful scenery and was lucky to be able a special exhibition of miniature paintings of about 40 artists from India 1100 to 1900, for some you needed a magnifying glass that one rented. Their regular collection spans all continents except Europe, very interesting and made a few photos of Quan Yin.
My next stop was Zunfthaus Meisen, which had a small collection of Zurich based Meisen china, small but interesting collection... opposite Fraumunster Church with the famous Chagall Windows. NO Cameras allowed and boy were they alert. Across the bridge, is Grossmunster Church, again beautiful stained glass windows using sliced agate stones, upsolutely mesmerizing. No cameras.
Then I decided to climb the tower, hmmm, imagine, 40 degrees and humid, 187 steps to the top.... purgatory. But I made it and got a lovely few of Zurich, roof top gardens (would that be lovely), watching the Limmat Swimmrace from above... more about that.
All day I had been watching people jumping into the Limmat with giant yellow rubber duckies and the accompanying announcements, apparently one big event today. Boy would I have loved to jump in too, perfect day for that.
Along my walk, came across H Schwaryenbach Kolonial Store and Tea-coffee house. YES finally a proper tea house. Huge collection of tea, the range from China, Japan, Nepal, Taiwan, Africa, India, etc. Got myself a delicious Oolong from Anxi, about 30 percent oxidized, delicious in aroma and bouquet.... a bit cool. So I asked some questions and found out they cool down the water, but I was very impressed because they weight the tea.
I asked her to steep again, full heat and only 3 minutes and then showed her why, we had a great discussion, alas, Zurich sleeps on Sunday and everything is closed.
Later found another teastore called Tea from the 7 seas, but it was after store hours.
Dinner search finally found myself in a little gasthof and had some not so good Gschnelztes and Roestli. Food is horrifically expensive. I bought a bottle of water in a grocery store. CHF 3.00 that is about 3 dollars.
Took a small boatride on the Limmat into Lake Zurich and walked again the promenade homewards. Different feel now, it is after hours and Zurich is at the lake, making use of the free beaches and parks. Bycicles everywhere, dogs, kids, etc, what a pleasant way to spend Saturday evening.
By now I am pooped and head back to hotel, finally check in, get myself a fan, because the AC as promised did not materialize.
It is Sunday morning now, non described breakfast, the least I enjoyed, for the prize I am paying for this room, it should have been a queens breakfast, also, my room faced the mainroad and even with earplugs I got little sleep. Needless to say, I am a bit crumpy this morning.
A few more hours and then off to train station to board train to Paris.....
So Ade from Zurich and Hello Paris. Ingrid
No comments:
Post a Comment