Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Paris Day 2 Versailles

Murphys law kicking in; trouble in the Metro; no connections to Versailles the usual way; am already en route; so follow the confused crowds, attach myself to a spanish group which are charming and somehow we all end up after 2 hours at Versailles.

I started early, they say the crowds are less; ya wrong!

Decide to go to the gardens first and am walking to the Trianons and Marie Antoinettes estate: am dissapointed; the flowers are not kept well; everything looks so neglected; actually everywhere: the fountains are not working and I guess I expected more.

Had a lovely lunch La Flotille inside the grounds and finally decided to check out the Chateaux: Not sure what I expected,aside the throngs of people some of the rooms of course are simple gorgeous; but most of it is just paintings on the wall: I have seen more opulence in the Imperial rooms in Vienna: I loved the wall decorations; and I was actually surprised that cameras where allowed:

Maybe; when I look back on the photos, I will put it all together in my mind. On the train home I opened a tourist guide of the City of Versailles; I think I would have enjoyed that more.

Ready to have a glass of houswine at Irene et Bernard.

Tomorrow the other part of Paris; hop on and off and a list of tearooms and a boat trip on the Seine.

1 comment:

  1. I do love the tearooms of Paris, but then that was my first introduction to tea in Europe. So it is my first love.

    ReplyDelete